Sunday, August 24, 2014

ETI 4600

What have I done?
I have dragged a wounded monster back to my cave...

Behold the ETI 4600!



Roland MKS-50

I so REALLY DIDN'T NEED this, but it was so cheap, it would be criminal not to buy it!



Sunday, July 6, 2014

Juno-60 battery replaced but draining too fast

Juno-60 battery replaced but draining too fast

Replaced NiCd battery with lithium cell

TL;DR? Scroll down to the "Fix" header at the bottom to see how I solved it.

So this is one of those things I regret not documenting. I actually did this back in 2011 but I was too lazy to document it and of course too lazy to write any post about it.
It's not really a complicated process so I'll just describe it with words.
You see the old battery in a previous post about the Juno-60 here from May 2011, though I didn't put a new battery in at that time.

In October 2011, I just took a small stripboard, placed a CR2450 holder on it and attached it to the inside of the Juno case using a screw. I decided to use CR2450 instead of the usual CR2032 due to the increased capacity. I used two wires to connect it to where the battery pins should be soldered.
This worked well and I was able to save sounds again. Yay!

Battery draining too fast

...or maybe it didn't work that well.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Repairing a CR-78

This is a post that's been in my backlog for a while, because I knew it would take some time to write it...


Back in February this year (2013) I got a request from someone if I could repair a CR-78 with severe battery leakage. A repair-shop that was asked about it wouldn't do it because it would take too long and not be worth the time/money.
Well... I'm cheap, but I leave no guarantees that I'll fix it 100% or that I'll do it quickly, but I'll do my best. That was good enough for this guy, so he let me have a go at it.
The actual "practical" symptoms weren't actually that bad though:  Not possible to save rhythms
However, considering the massive leak, it was clear that this machine needed more than just a quick repair.
No way should anybody give up on a such a fine machine unless it's totally hopeless.
Challenge accepted!

Saturday, August 24, 2013

A-Ha - I've been losing you (Cover by me)

It's time for another cover!
I really like some of the songs on A-Ha's first albums, and I chose to cover "I've been losing you."

Now, part of the purpose of doing this was of course to make a cover just because I really like the song, but another purpose was also to practice and experiment a bit with singing and mixing.
I'm not quite happy with my vocal performance as I feel it's too tense and shaky, though the original has some of that tension, Morten still manages to keep relaxed and singing in tune while I am struggling with it.
One thing I noticed is that it's really hard to keep an even volume as I tend to sing louder during some parts, in particular when I have to take high notes. I guess this is something experienced singers have learned to compensate for by moving away and towards the microphone. Now however I had to try and compensate in the recording instead, which I'm a bit lazy to go over and to properly everywhere, just in a few bad spots.

Regarding the mixing I did about 5 versions of it. The first one used a lot of stuff on the master bus (Saturation and multi-band compressor) but in the end I thought it sounded better the more I removed. Even if I didn't quite get that full punchy sound with all the mastering stuff added, it still was more pleasant to listen to without it. It really is an art to do proper mixing as well as mastering, and this was an experiment in both.

Here is the final version that I decided to go with:


The gearlist, if anybody is interested:
Roland Juno-60, Roland JX-8P, U-He Diva, U-He Zebra, NI FM-8, NI Pro-53, Yamaha CS-40M, Fabfilter Twin 2, NI Battery 3.