Saturday, January 9, 2010

Boys say go! (A simple cover)

I was bored this morning (night almost, woke up early) and was thinking of the Depeche Mode song "Boys say go" version performed at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1982. It's better than the album version (Speak and Spell).
Without giving it too much serious effort I decided to do a "remake" more than a cover of the song. I mean I wasn't trying to change it a lot. I wanted to modernize it slightly but still keep most of the sounds fairly similar to the original.

Now, my hardware synthesizers are not really enough to just make any sounds I want, plus they're not really working, plus I don't have room to set them up and use more than one of them at a time.
So, I decided to use software only. I have a MIDI controller keyboard, Cubase and quite a lot of VST instruments so I started doing the cover around 6 in the morning and completed it perhaps around 13:00.

I used Massive for one of the bass sounds but I really should have changed it or at least EQ:ed it and done some proper work because it's drowning everything in the bass register and I noticed it's causing the audio to sound really bad in the youtube clip. It sounds better as uncompressed WAV file but.. Blah..
It was just a short little project to have some fun. I'm not going to bother with it anymore.

Anyway, if you want to listen to it, here it is.
I'm not sure if you get the HQ version like this but it should sould better if you did at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkikvH-Jq-M

1 comment:

  1. Sweeet! Made me think of Yazzoo, which is maybe not too far-fetched. Keep up the good work.

    Btw, you were up at 6 am !!? Bet you slept all afternoon since you made your post at 5.30 pm.

    ReplyDelete